by Charly Mann
In March of 1973 The Carolina Barber Shop which was located at 131 East Franklin Street closed. It had been the oldest operating business downtown, opening its doors 55 years earlier in January of 1918 under the ownership of barber P.R. Perry. Now that it was gone Lacock's Shoe Shop, operated by 83 year old Wilson Lacock, became the senior business on the block. During the same month The Tar Heel Barber Shop located at the corner of Franklin and Henderson which had started in 1927 also closed.
Full content including photographs now available on a subscription basis.
See Subscribe button in upper right corner.
What is it that binds us to this place as to no other? It is not the well or the bell or the stone walls. or the crisp October nights. No, our love for this place is based upon the fact that it is as it was meant to be, The University of the People.