This is the first public school in Chapel Hill. It was called The Chapel Hill Grade School. This is because it had adopted the then new concept of dividing students into grades. The school was located behind where the Carolina Inn is today. It was built in 1898, and this photograph was taken about 1904 by Adam Kluttz who was Chapel Hill's primary merchant in those days.
Full content including photographs now available on a subscription basis.
See Subscribe button in upper right corner.
What is it that binds us to this place as to no other? It is not the well or the bell or the stone walls. or the crisp October nights. No, our love for this place is based upon the fact that it is as it was meant to be, The University of the People.